Stamp Releases ARCHIVE
2018 HERITAGE MONTH: PHILIPPINE COLONIAL CHURCHESMay 16, 2018
Block of Four(4) Stamps Kind of Issue : Special Deno.& Quantity : P12 (4 Designs) - - - 50,000 Date of Issue : May 2, 2018 Last Day of Sale : May 1, 2019 Size of Stamps : 40mm x 30mm Sheet Composition : Sheetlet of 16 (Se-tenant Blk/4) Souvenir Sheet : P 72 - - - 4,000 Size of Souvenir Sheet : 135mm x 85mm Perforation : 14 Email : firstname.lastname@example.org Souvenir Sheet Printing Process : Litho-Offset (4 colors) Paper : Imported Unwatermarked Printer : Amstar Company, Inc. Designer : Victorino Z. Serevo Designs : Contributed by the FUNtastic Philippines Coordinator : Judith L. Neric Filipino Heritage Festival Inc. G/F Museum of theFilipinoPeople Valencia Circle, Luneta, Manila Designs: In the Block of four (Blk/4) Stamps: SAN MATIAS PARISH CHURCH (Photographer – Nelson C. Gonzales), known as Tumauini Church, is an ultra-Baroque church located in Tumauini, Isabela. The first church was made of nipa and other light materials and was built by the Dominican priest Francisco Nunez in 1707 and dedicated to St. Matthias. The current church was built under the auspices of Fr. Domingo Forto, O.P. in 1783 and later continued by Fr. Antonio Herrera, O.P. in 1788. The church was completed in 1805. The church was damaged during World War II. A faithful reconstruction program restored back the glory of the church, with undamaged parts of the church building retained. The Tumauini Church was declared a National Cultural Treasure by the National Museum. The National Historical Commission of the Philippines declared the Tumauini Church a National Historical Landmark on February 24, 1989. SANTA MONICA PARISH CHURCH (Photographer – Bernadette Juson) , commonly known as Pan-ay Church, is a Baroque church with neo-classical influence defined by used of attached coupled piers in Corinthian style. It is the oldest church in Panay Island and its five level belfry is the biggest and most likely the heaviest bell in Asia which was casted in 1878 using 70 sacks of coins. Christianity in Panay was established when Fray Martin de Rada, OSA first preached gospel to its natives in 1566. SANTA MONICA PARISH CHURCH (Photographer – Richelli Ridon Castellano), known as Minalin Church, is a Baroque church located in San Nicolas, Minalin, Pampanga. Founded in 1614, Minalin parish started as a visita of Macabebe, Pampanga. The original location of the church was in Barangay Sta. Maria. However, the lumber stocks for the church construction were carried by floodwaters to a place called Burol, which became the location of the present church. Building of the church was attributed to Augustinian Fr. Manuel Franco Tubil in 1764 and was completed in 1834. Another account showed that the church was built sometime in the 1600s and was completed in 1764 under Bachiller Calixto Gregorio. The NCCA designated the conservation and protection of the Spanish-era churches because of heritage and culture declaring them as National Cultural Treasures. The Santa Monica Church was declared as such by the National Museum on August 27, 2011. SANTA CATALINA DE ALEJANDRIA CHURCH (Photographer – Ma. Remedios Sotto), commonly known as Tayum Church, is a Baroque church located at Barangay Poblacion, Tayum, Abra. It is under the patronage of Saint Catherine of Alexandria and under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Bangued. The Tayum Church was founded and built by secular priests to Christianize the native group Tinguians in the region during the 19th century. The Tayum Church was declared a National Cultural Treasure by the National Museum in 2001. In the Souvenir Sheet: SAN CARLOS BORROMEO CHURCH (Photographer - Annabelle Casino Chavez), commonly known as Mahatao Church, is a Baroque church dedicated to Saint Charles Borromeo and is located in Mahatao , Batan Island, Batanes under the Diocese of Roman Catholic Territorial Prelature of Batanes. On July 31, 2001, The Church of San Carlos Borromeo was one of the Philippine colonial churches declared by the National Museum as a National Cultural Treasure. The National Commission for Culture and the Arts had identified and selected it as one of the 26 Spanish Colonial era churches to be under its conservation program. SANTA CATALINA DE ALEJANDRIA CHURCH (Photographer –RolinoBucao Jr.), commonly known as Namacpacan Church, is located in Luna, La Union under the Diocese of San Fernando de la Union. The church is placed under the advocacy of St. Catherine of Alexandria in 1690 and known for its devotion to Our Lady of Namacpacan. The first Church was built under the supervision of Fr. Mateo Bustillos. The original site was in Darigayos, a barrio of Namacpacan and was transferred in 1741 to its present site. The image of Our Lady of Namacpacan was enshrined in the church in 1871. The Namacpacan Church was declared a National Cultural Treasure of the National Museum. NUESTRA SENORA DEL PATROCINIODE MARIA PARISH CHURCH (Photographer - Rolino C. Bucao Jr.), commonly known as the Boljoon Church, is a Baroque church dedicated to Our Lady of Patrocinio and is located in Boljoon, Cebu under the Archdiocese of Cebu. The present church of Boljoon was built by Augustinian priest Fr. Ambrosio Otero in 1783. Construction of the church was continued by Fr. Manuel Cordero in 1794 and completed by Fr. Julian Bermejo in 1841, who built the watchtower and blockhouse as a defense networks. The church was later restored by Fr. Leandro Moran, the last Augustinian priest of Boljoon, who served from 1920-1948. In 2007, restoration work was performed through the Boljoon Heritage Foundation. The Boljoon Church was declared a National Historical Landmark by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines in 1999 and listed as a National Cultural Treasure by the National Museum in 2001. NUESTRA SENORA DE LA ASUNCION (Photographer –RichelliRidon Castellano) commonly known as the Santa Maria Parish Church, is a Baroque church located in Sta. Maria, Ilocos Sur under the Archdiocese of Nueva Segovia. The Santa Maria Church is an attraction to both tourists and Catholics in Ilocos Sur province. It is not only a reminiscent of the four centuries of Spanish domination of that area but also a unique structure with a developed architectural design of bricks and mortar. It was built on top of a hill not only as a look out and a citadel but as a religious center during the early administration of the region by both the friars and soldiers of Spain. The Santa Maria Parish Church was designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site on December 11, 1993 as part of the Baroque Churches of the Philippines, a collection of four Baroque Spanish-era churches. NUESTRA SENORA DE LA ASUNCION (Photographer – Remus Nicolas Doroon) commonly known as Dauis Church, is dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption. The church underwent many changes since its inception when the Spanish missionaries arrived in 1697. The church was consecrated by Bishop Juan Gorordo of Cebu on August 23, 1923. In 2004, the Parish of Our Lady of the Assumption was declared a Shrine honouring the patroness not only of Dauis but also for the province of Bohol. On October 15, 2013 a devastating earthquake struck Bohol severely damaging centuries-old churches including the Dauis Church. The retablo where the Virgin was enshrined was miraculously spared. SANTO TOMAS DE VILLANUEVA PARISH CHURCH (Photographer- Rolino C.Bucao Jr.) commonly known as the Miag-ao Church, is dedicated to Saint Thomas of Villanueva. It is a Baroque Romanesque Church located in Miag-ao, Iloilo under the Archdiocese of Jaro. Founded in 1731, Miag-ao was formerly a visita of Oton until 1580. Tigbauan until 1703 and Guimbal until 1731. It became an independent parish of the Augustinians in 1731 under the advocacy of Saint Thomas of Villanueva. With the establishment of the parish, a church was built in a land near the sea called Ubos. Father Fernando Camporedondo served as the town’s first parish priest in 1734, when the town experienced frequent Moro invasion in 1741 and 1754, the town moved to a more secure place. From there, a new church was constructed in 1787 through forced labor under the supervision of Fray Francisco Gonzales, Parish priest and Spanish Gobernadorcillo Domingo Libo-on. It was built on the highest point of the town to guard from invaders called Tacas. After ten years, the church was completed in 1797. It was designated to have thick walls to serve as protection from invaders. It was severely damaged during the Spanish revolution in 1898 but was later rebuilt; fire in 1910 and earthquake in 1948. The present day Miag-ao church is the third church built since its establishment in 1731. To preserve the church, it underwent restoration in 1960 and was completed in 1962. It was declared a national shrine by Presidential Decree No. 260. Santo Tomas de Villanueva Parish Church was declared as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1993.